Monday, October 8, 2012

What Drew Me To Write

If you have not checked out www.writeaprisoner.com I encourage you to do so! This is how I met my man! I was browsing through ads and came across his. I wrote his address down and took note of wanting to write. I had concerns. Many of them. I had recently wrote to another prisoner and he was all about the game and collecting money. This in a way almost turned me away forever. However we must remember not all inmates are like this. Just because one will try to take advantage of you does not mean in any way they all will try these same games. My best advice is to go with your gut feeling. That's all we can trust. 

Moving forward, for two weeks I kept going back to his page and reading it over while still browsing other ads. My first reaction was wow he's cute... WOW he can write. His ad made me laugh, smile, and feel. He was honest about being a gang member and something about me drew me in. He had charm, charisma, values and a sense of humor. These are traits I have as well. Now I also picked him because we didn't share everything in common. I knew instantly his background and mine were completely different. We come from different walks of life. It's true what they say... "when you know, you know." Finally after much deliberation I chose to write. 

In my first letter I explained a bit about myself. My interests, the fact I have a child and that I'm a single mom. I am an accountant according to my education, however I want to go to school to help disadvantage youths find a path in life. I didn't go into too much detail, as it was the first letter and I didn't want to scare him away by putting all of my life out there. I was nervous I wouldn't receive something back. 2 weeks later I received my first letter and from there it was history.  

No comments:

Post a Comment